Recently you received an email communication from AG Jeff Randolph who represents the Peoria Area Rotary Clubs for District 6460. You may also be aware that we have established a Rotary Disaster committee to address the storms that ravaged Central Illinois last Fall. The group is led by DGN Steve Hopper, and they are doing great work while also raising money to support recovery efforts. We like to think the efforts we are engaging are more like a marathon, not a sprint to help with long term clean up and restoration for affected communities. As a follow up, I offer these details on the park project coming up Saturday, May 17: Major sod cutting (4+acres) will be done mechanically by local volunteers (park district, city, township road district, etc.) before Rotarians arrive Saturday. The major ‘clearing’ done so Rotary re-sodding can begin virtually immediately on Saturday morning. There will be areas close to sidewalks, etc. that will require hand shoveled and prep Saturday morning, but we hope all major removal will be done. If we have extra Rotary bodies beyond sodding and prep, we have other park and trail areas that need cleaning.
- We hope to have sod (flat or rolled) stationed strategically on the grounds ready to go.
- Parking is not restricted around any of the park area unless we have some areas taped off for work vehicles or equipment.
- We have a nearby church (Our Savior Lutheran) just three blocks down who will allow us to serve lunch to all volunteers. We have arranged for ‘sloppy joe’s’, chips, fruit and water for lunch from Lindy’s Market in town.
- We will have water coolers on site during the day filled with Gatorade and water for ‘cooling periods’ as well as a small shelter to get out of the sun. We also have a small portable bathroom on site.
- The first 75 Rotarians will receive a free Rotarian At Work project shirt for participating!
- The flyer mentions shifts, however no formal shifts will be set. Please come and stay as long or short as you can. Like they say, more hands make light work.
If you can attend, please RSVP to AG Jeff Randolph at firstname.lastname@example.org or 309-696-1181. Please see the attached file for additional details. Best Regards, Norm Jones District Governor 6460